Code of Ethics
Code of Ethics and Standards of Business Practice
The Okanagan Mainline Real Estate Board is committed to encouraging and promoting a high level of professionalism among its Members.
Click here for details on the Code of Ethics and Standards of Business Practice to which members of the Okanagan Mainline Real Estate Board subscribe.
There may be an instance when you feel that you have been misrepresented and want to make a complaint.
The Board recognizes that when someone takes the time to lodge a formal complaint, it is because they feel genuine dissatisfaction with the service they have received and/or believe that the REALTOR® has acted improperly in some way. The Board takes complaints very seriously and makes every effort to ensure that any complaint is thoroughly investigated and that all parties concerned have a full opportunity to be heard.
If you are in such a situation, we advise you to take the following steps:
1. Most problems occur because of miscommunication. Talk with your REALTOR® to clarify your concern.
2. If that doesn’t work, take your concern to the Managing Broker of your REALTOR’s® office. Issues can often be resolved to avoid the need of going through a formal complaint process.
3. Talk to the Professional Standards Coordinator of the Real Estate Board who can help you understand if your complaint falls within the jurisdiction of the Board and may be able to help you work it out to your satisfaction. Call 250-491-4560 and ask for the OMREB Professional Standards Coordinator.
4. If you want to take the matter further, you’ll need to decide whether it’s a matter for your REALTOR’s® Real Estate Board or for the Real Estate Council of BC, the regulatory body responsible for administering the Real Estate Services act. (See "A Matter for the Board or for Council?" below for details.)
5. Submit your complaint in writing to the appropriate body – outlining the nature of the complaint in as much detail as possible – via the form provided by the Real Estate Board or Real Estate Council. (Links to forms are provided below under "Filing Your Complaint".)
A Matter for the Board or for Council?
To determine if your complaint should go to the Okanagan Mainline Real Estate Board or to the Real Estate Council of BC, click here for examples of areas investigated by the Board and examples of matters investigated by Council, and how to submit a complaint to either one.
Filing Your Complaint
If you have a complaint to make to the Real Estate Board, click here to download, print and complete the Okanagan Mainline Real Estate Board Complaint Form. New typeable version of this form is available here.
If you have a complaint to make to the Real Estate Council, click here to download, print and complete the Real Estate Council of BC Complaint Form.
Please include the required supporting documentation with your submission to the Board or Council.
What Happens During the Complaint Process?
To find out what happens before and after you file your complaint with the Real Estate Board, click here. We hope this outline of the Board’s procedures for dealing with complaints will answer most of your questions in this regard.